(2) Collapse of the housing market.
(3) The return of more and more people to the city.
(4) Collapse of the financial system.
(5) The extreme popularity of a public option in health care reform.
(6) The extreme unpopularity of business.
But far and away the most important:
(7) Crazy boomers who experimented with everything grew up to become quite conservative. I can only imagine what young conservatives are going to grow up to be. I'd be willing to bet, however, that it won't be Still Conservative for a lot of them.
Reading about Portland, OR through the lens first of two books about bicycling, and then through the lens of Sharlet exploring fundamentalism is weirdly wonderful. But then, Portland is weirdly wonderful, so that shouldn't really be too much of a surprise.