walkitout (walkitout) wrote,

husband with NOT engorged dog tick = bad

toddler with engorged deer tick nymph = much worse


T. woke up around 6 a.m. this morning (this is _really_ weird), then again at 7 and at 45 minute intervals or thereabouts for the rest of the morning. He was wailing and carrying on, and hit his ear a couple of times, but he also touched a lot of the rest of him and I figured if he had ear soreness at this point, I could think about taking him to the doctor, but it was likely just part of the head/chest cold we are currently sharing. I also, tiredly, thought, we should have done a tick check last night, but didn't feel up to pursuing it while he was thrashing about.

After J. came over (this would be reliable, regular child care), she noticed in the inner upper curve of his right [ETA: actually, left; I was having his right vs. my right issues] ear, something which turned out to be an engorged tick and, after tweezering it out, a deer tick nymph if my eyes and my comparison to a picture on the intarnets is to be trusted. We think (P. was also visiting, and it was helpful to have three people help with this exercise, because I had to do the last _unengorged_ deer tick myself and that was a pain for both T. and I) we got all the mouthparts; it is definitely still alive and crawling (well, it was when he went into the bowl preparatory to putting it in a plastic ziploc bag.

I e-mailed R. to notify him of the cursed event and then called the doctor's office and told them what had happened and they said T. needs to be seen and have a 2 p.m. appointment today. I will say one thing for my aversion to doctors: when I _do_ decide we need to go see one, they don't argue about it and they generally get me a same-day appointment. Back when I went to doctors frequently, they tended to feel otherwise and I often had to wait for days, by which time whatever virus I had was mostly resolved thus proving they were right (or had turned into something more treatable because by then bacterial). I do sort of wonder how they are going to react to us showing up for T.'s tick, and then looking at the snot running out of his nose and hearing me cough. We might get some additional looking over while we're there.

ETA: just as a sidelight, while I was doing a residential course for Wilderness First Responder, a couple of the young guys (who would be taking Outward Bound jobs after passing the course) were quite adamant about _never ever ever_ using tweezers to remove a tick. They had this involved story about using a match to get the tick to detach. I don't recall that we ever involved an instructor in this conversation, and later on I heard similar confirmation of same from acquaintances who did a fair amount of hiking in the West. This is useful to know NOT because it's how you deal with ticks (you should, in fact, use tweezers), but because virtually every respectable article online about how to remove a tick goes to some pains to list a variety of these methods and then say DO NOT DO THIS! and then goes on to describe proper tweezer technique (slow, no twisting, don't squeeze too hard), which is kinda laughable (I mean, these fuckers are _really small_ and when it's your kid, you are not going to be all calm and Totally In Surgical Control) but I'm 2 for 2 so far in having a live tick with all parts apparently present at the end of the process so I guess not totally impossible.

I'm trying to decide how this compares to wasp-in-diaper. I think it's worse, since I suspect this is going to be hanging over our heads for a few weeks, whereas the wasp thing was over and done with by the next morning.

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.