We made our first two navy bean dishes last night. R. made Navy Bean Soup off of a recipe I cobbled together off the internets and which I will shortly upload to my cookbook. He blamed me, intially, for too many vegetables, but that's his own damn fault. I said 2 carrots and 4 stalks celery; he made it 3 and 3 thinking they should be even. Gack. Other than having a lot of carrots, it turned out well. We had no ham, and were going to short the bacon, but he started prepping bacon for the Boston baked, not realizing I was going to make it vegetarian. After a short verbal scuffle, the bacon went into the Navy Bean Soup, resulting in the usual high-meat ratio (1 Cup dried beans, 8 slices bacon).
The Boston baked was a series of experimental maneuvers that nearly ended in disaster. First, I opted for no acidic ingredients whatsoever (no tomato, no vinegar), and I either left the salt out entirely (R. thinks) or just put in a tiny amount of sea salt (which I think I did). I used 1/4 cup molasses and 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup.
Because I neither did a full quick soak nor did I soak overnight, I was very unsure how much water to put in the pot and we were relatively certain I'd overshot. So we cooked it in the oven with the lid off for about an hour, then turned the oven down, put the lid on and eventually went to bed to the aroma of boston baked. At about 4:30 a.m., I woke up and became absolutely convinced it was time to turn the oven off. So, down the stairs, check the beans -- yup, liquid all gone -- turned off the oven but left the pot in, and went back to bed.
In the morning, I had some for breakfast with my usual pb & j on an english muffin. Very, very yummy. R. thinks they could use more salt, and maybe some brown sugar, but otherwise concurs. He says the navy bean soup is delish; I haven't had it yet.
Not sure whether it's adaptation, adequate cooking or what, but despite having a lot of beans lately, the digestive issues appear to be All Gone. Yay.